Saturday, April 19, 2014

A Family Photo



A few weeks ago my oldest sister gave me a copy of a photo taken in the late 1920s.

My Mom is in the center of the photo, about four years old. Her two brothers are on either side of her. In the back are my Grandma and Grandpa.

They are both smiling. My Grandpa, especially, seems very happy. He's got a big grin on his face. His straw hat is tipped to one side, giving him an almost debonair look. And his arms are spread out, akimbo style, giving him a sense of pride in his family.

My Mom looks like she's leaning into her Dad, with both her hands in back of her. Maybe a bit shy that day, not used to having her picture taken? (In those days I'm not sure how many families had a camera). And her face looks like she's thinking about smiling, but hasn't gotten there yet (again the possibility of shyness comes through). Ironically, my Mom was not a shy person and you'd be hard pressed to find another photo of her where she doesn't have a smile on her face.

At any rate, of everyone in the picture, my Grandpa, by far, seems to be the happiest. I'm guessing it was a workday, because he and his boys are dressed in overalls. It was definitely into the growing season, because a tree in back of them is fully leafed out and the grass under their feet is green (or would have been if the picture were in color).

I'm also guessing that the picture was taken before the summer heat of southern Illinois kicked in because they are wearing layers of clothing. (In the summer the heat doesn't really leave the earth there, and mornings can be very warm and muggy, sapping the energy right out of you by mid-day, and none of the family seems to in the least bit tired).

My two uncles don't especially appear to be happy. Maybe they are thinking of the farm chores they would shortly be doing, or the game they were playing, before the minor distraction of having their picture taken?

I would love to ask my Grandpa: Why were you so happy that day? What were you thinking of? What caused such a carefree look on the face of someone who farmed, making his living with so much uncertainty?

When I see him in heaven, I think I'll ask.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!

Pinocchio: Art Credit, Disney If ever there were a time for a national "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire" award, it's now. And certai...