Saturday, November 19, 2022

My Last Tweet?

According to several news sources, we may be headed toward the end of Twitter.

Of course, Twitter is prone to hyperbole, but just in case...

Dear Friends,

It's been fun being with you since 2015.

I'm actually grateful for the (small) audience it's given for the blog I have (https://lifesomethings.blogspot.com/). 

The blog was set up to help me think through thoughts on faith, God and social justice. It also has included many interviews and book reviews along the way.

So, the primary emotion I have, if the end of Twitter comes to pass, is - believe it or not - gratitude.

I wasn't looking for a full-throttle way to express personal opinions when I joined Twitter. The book reviews I've done are more like a book report, getting at the essence of the book, rather than my opinion of it.

From the start, it was all about sharing and growing.

When I did offer an opinion - it was always contexted in fact - and usually only when it felt necessary.

I'm a writer at heart. Have been since I was six years old and wrote a morning edition newspaper for my Dad, which I delivered every Saturday - the one day of the week he and Mom could sleep in. (Thank you, Dad, for always encouraging me!)

Writing is the best way I know to make sense of complex subjects. I read to learn and understand, but I write to help personally apply it.

Back in 2015, a local library offered a venue for local writers to sell their books. I went and sold nothing. But I did meet a writer who told me about Twitter. She encouraged me to join because it would be a way to gain a community. She was right.

There's been a lot of negative tweets on Twitter, and in that way, it can be polarizing. But I tended to ignore the rants and hone in on the folks who had deeper, clearly thought-out things to say. 

Photo Credit: caveman, wallpapercave.com
Thank you to everyone who sent out tweets that made me think and learn and broaden my perspective. Thank you to the authors who I met on Twitter and your books and for taking the time to be interviewed.

Thank you to faithful followers who have read the blog posts via Twitter. I very much appreciate your interest.

It's been fun!
-----

I also wanted to mention that I've written two books - collections of short stories.

One is  20 Short Ones: 20 Tales of Hope

It's very autobiographical, with stories taking place in New York City, Michigan, Colorado and Northern Ireland. 

The second book, just released, is Metropolis: Tales from a Small Town. (Yes, there really is a Metropolis, in southern Illinois. (A few of my stories mention the statue of Superman found in the town square. The town is the official "home" of Superman, but none of the stories are about him).

Both books are works of faith-based fiction. Both have themes of hope. 

And it is on that note of hope that I end this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!

Pinocchio: Art Credit, Disney If ever there were a time for a national "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire" award, it's now. And certai...