Monday, July 3, 2017

D.L.Mayfield - Assimilate or Go Home

D. L. Mayfield lives and writes in Portland, Oregon with her husband and two small children. Mayfield likes to write about refugees, theology, and downward mobility, among other topics. Her book of essays, Assimilate or Go Home: Notes from a Failed Missionary on Rediscovering Faith was recently released by HarperOne. 

You mention, of your early days as a teenager, “we didn’t yet understand what it means to stick around long enough to experience the fullness of how messy life is on the margins.” Why was this such an important impression/lesson for you?

I think when you are young you have simplistic solutions to everything. I also really believed that right beliefs would always lead to right actions, and that if you are truly following God then everything would be taken care of. As I got older, I saw how damaging that theology can be (“if things go wrong then I must have done something bad and God is mad at me.”) Now I really cling to the idea that Jesus is present with us in our suffering, not that he promises to instantly deliver us from our life circumstances.

You write about a nun, principal of a Catholic school on Chicago’s south-side in the 1970s. When “white flight” left neighborhoods mostly African-American, reflected in this school’s population. One day she goes into each classroom and changes each crucifix that has a white Jesus dying on the cross with a black one. A student asks her why she’s doing this and she replies, “Well, we don’t know exactly what Jesus looked like, but I am sure he looked more like you than he looked like me.” Why did this nun’s actions stick out in your mind?

This story came from an episode of This American Life I heard and to me it was such a good picture of how we have completely made Jesus (and Christianity) into something that venerates and perpetuates the myth that whiteness is the norm. But it’s not the norm, and Jesus certainly wasn’t white (or culturally like the west, for that matter)! And as someone trying to live like Jesus it became important for me to think about dismantling all the white Jesus’ I had put up, without ever realizing it.

You write, “A refugee, for all intents and purposes, is someone who has no past to go back to.” Why would understanding this truth help us understand and empathize more with refugees and immigrants?

I primarily wanted to distinguish between immigrants and refugees here, because I think many of us believe refugees want to be here, they want to work our jobs, take our resources, etc. But it’s the opposite. They want to live in their own countries, they want to raise their kids how they themselves were raised, they want to be at peace in their own culture. They have been forcibly removed through war and trauma and violence, and they have no choice in where they are resettled. They didn’t choose to come to America and take advantage of the mythical “dream.” They are the products of suffering, and their life in America contains similar elements of sadness and suffering, even though they might not be in the immediate threat of death anymore. Hopefully this does give us empathy, and allow us to see them in a larger, more complicated narrative than the ones being told to us by politicians.

You mention that “the best way to humanize an issue is to be involved in it.” How do you view today’s current level of polarization in America, in light of this statement?

True proximity means becoming involved in the suffering of others, to the point where you will never be truly at peace until justice comes. Until we get to that point, issues are just issues we can either ignore or dismiss or gloss over. I don’t really want to be a depolarizing force in the world, because the language surrounding refugees and immigrants is incredibly dehumanizing and deserves to be confronted. But I am interested in imagining ways to get people in proximity to those who are suffering at the margins of America.

There’s a story you relate of a mom who comes to an English class you’re teaching and one of your students,  Nadifa, says something in Somali then hurriedly leaves, very distraught. One of the other students translates that Nadifa forgot to give one of her kids anti-seizure medication. The student goes on to explain that Nadifa’s husband just left her and she has five kids. The students begin to say “Alhamdulillah!” (meaning, “It is God’s will.”) You tell your students “No, no, NO Alhamdulillah!” How would you answer the question, What is God’s will?

I think the simplest answer is God’s will is for the kingdom of heaven to be here on earth. The kingdom of God is made plain by Jesus, who in his sermon on the mount shows us that it is the exact opposite to the ways of the world. Living with Muslims has shown me how similar some of my own beliefs are to theirs--that since God is in control, God must be ok with suffering and sadness. But I don’t believe that! In the movie Selma Martin Luther King, Jr.  tells a man who just had his grandson shot in cold blood by the police that “God is the first to cry.” What a beautiful theology. A God who suffers with us, not one who bestows suffering at will. God’s will is that we would all know how beloved we are, and that we would love our neighbors in the same way.

You write: “God also loves the oppressors, the abusers… the gluttons and the cowards.” Why is this so hard to believe?

I’m a pretty black-and-white person, so this one is hard for me--but it’s the truth of the gospel! No one is a monster in the kingdom of God. There is always a chance for repentance, for change, to write the wrongs that you have done. The people in the Bible were absolutely terrible.  And God still loved them with an everlasting love, just like he loves me, how he loves ISIS, how he loves Christians who commit terrorist attacks here in America. This doesn’t mean we can’t stand up to evil and oppression but it brings us back to the central point that everyone is made in the image of God, and no one escapes the love of God.

How about “God loves everybody, exactly the same. No matter what you do.” I don’t remember hearing this as a kid growing up!

Isn’t that sad? I definitely grew up hearing that God loved me but I also picked up the subtleties that weren’t exactly said aloud--that God really loves people who do amazing things, who work hard, who get results. But as I said in my book, absorbing the hierarchies that religions create led me to the place where I was using my work in refugee communities to prop myself up, to make me appear better before the eyes of God. This meant that I was using my friends and neighbors. This was a crushing realization, but led me to a better place: there is nothing I can do to earn the love of God. To be honest, I still struggle with this concept. I still don’t quite believe it. But I am trying.

“He (God) is asking us to run, run in the direction of the world’s brokenness. Is this the crux of Christianity, the essence of God?

I think it is a good way of viewing the life and work of Jesus. He was obsessed with really dangerous people--both the demon possessed and the sick and also the powerful religious folk who he knew wanted to kill him. There are so many kinds of brokenness, and Jesus seemed to find it all irresistible, because he was in the business of liberating people. I want to believe more in this liberating, all-consuming love, and just like Jesus I have discovered it in the margins of society.

I love your description of King David. That the “man after God’s heart” was also an adulterer, murderer and terrible parent. David showed his humanity and the fullness of his ability to take everything to God. Would you like to elaborate?

David is such an interesting example. I actually originally wrote that David was a rapist (because he was, if you think about the power differentials--was Bathsheba even able to say no? Most likely not). He is such a problematic person. He did terrible damage and suffered enormous consequences. But through his psalms we discover the pathway to a relationship with God, which is authenticity. God wants us, not our religious words or ways. If we are hiding who we are, the fullness of our broken selves, then we aren’t actually in relationship with God, and we can’t be transformed by the love of God.

The example of King David sort of goes along with what you write later in your book. “To be the one in need. It confirms that this is quite possibly the only posture that Christians in this day and age can take, to be in a place where we freely admit our shortcomings, where we desperately need our neighbors.” How does taking this outlook help us be better followers of Jesus?

It’s hard not to make comparisons between my community (white evangelical Christians) and the religious folks in the gospels. The Pharisees and others were so obsessed with their own holiness and right beliefs that they walked away from every encounter with Jesus without being liberated. Who were the ones who are the faithful of the gospels? The needy ones--either physically, emotionally, or spiritually. They are the ones to whom the good news of Jesus is actually good, and I want to be in this category so badly.

How about “Everything Jesus said is true, not just the parts I want to believe.” What parts of what Jesus said do you find hard to fathom?

This is such a big question! I guess the big one would be forgiveness--how vital it is to our spiritual health. But forgiveness is so hard, especially in such an unjust world. And yet, this is what Jesus calls me to. Same thing with his call to love our enemies, and live lives of self-sacrifice for our neighbors. All of this is incredibly difficult in practice (although it’s easy to talk about!).

Is there anything else you’d like to mention?

I’ve been working on a few big articles and one or two essays, but currently my life is very full between taking care of small children, hanging out with my neighbors, teaching English classes, and helping start a nonprofit aimed at welcoming immigrants and refugees in the Portland area. Thanks so much for these thoughtful questions--I hope it sparks some discussion.


To find D.L.Mayfield on the web

To purchase Assimilate or Go Home 

It's on SALE for $1.99 on Kindle!!!

To follow D.L. Mayfield on Twitter

Photo Credits: d.l.mayfield.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!

Pinocchio: Art Credit, Disney If ever there were a time for a national "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire" award, it's now. And certai...