Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Laughter: It's the best medicine!


I hadn't been able to laugh since early November (2015) because of a viral infection.

Until last week. Here's what happened.

I was watching an episode of [SCRUBS] on Netflix, and Dr. Kelso (who has said this multiple times) turned to Dr. Cox (his nemesis). Dr. Cox had just laid one of his famous rapid-fire rants at him, and Dr. Kelso, without changing expression, said: "What has two thumbs and doesn't give a crap?"

Without waiting for Dr. Cox to answer, he pointed towards himself and said, "Bob Kelso." Here's the clip.

I laughed out loud. So loud that I startled Buddy (one of my cats) because he hadn't heard me laugh in four months. (Sorry Buddy!)

Laughing is second nature. In fact, until the virus that attacked my sinuses hit town, there weren't very many days that I didn't laugh. At least once. And very loud.

So ever since the break in the laugh drought, I've been thinking of how wonderful it is to laugh. The way it makes a person feel. The release it brings. The pure joy of it.

I'm not the most social animal on the planet, but yet, I tend to gravitate towards laughter. If I walk into a room and someone's laughing, (as long as it isn't laughter at someone else's expense) I want to be part of it.

Speaking of laughing in a group situation. Here's a few minute's worth of the Marx Brothers' Duck Soup, featuring Groucho Marx.

And one minute from Horse Feathers.

And here's something from Laurel and Hardy.

If you are a fan of Snoopy, you'll love this one: Snoopy at the Library with Woodstock.

How does all that make you feel? Better, I hope!

Before going any further, considering our subject matter, we need to include Carol Burnett who was the first female to have her own comedy-variety show on television and has helped make people laugh for decades.


Carol loved to interact with her audience. Here's a clip.

So let's take a few seconds to finish up our discussion of the benefits of laughter. Here are a few:

lowers your blood pressure
puts a smile on your face
helps you appreciate the ironies of life
pulls you up when you're feeling down
gives you courage (sometimes)
helps you make friends (you'd be surprised)
refreshes your soul
and it's Biblical (a cheerful heart is good medicine Prov. 17.22)

Finally, to leave you smiling, here's a clip of Amy Poehler on the Ellen DeGeneres Show.

Thanks for sharing a laugh!

Photo Credit: www.stylepinner.com
Photo Credit: www.meredy.com

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!

Pinocchio: Art Credit, Disney If ever there were a time for a national "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire" award, it's now. And certai...