Monday, December 26, 2016

Meet Andrew Voigt: Blogger on Faith, Dreams & Brokenness

Andrew Voigt is a writer currently living in Charlotte, N.C., with his wife Beth and their orange cat, Pumpkin. After spending two years in Los Angeles pursuing a career as an actor, he returned with unmet expectations and broken dreams. Prompted by a close friend, he began writing about his journey - one that is filled with dreams, anxiety, depression, faith, doubt, hope, and the constant struggle with grace. He holds a B.S. in Communication Studies from Liberty University in Virginia and has studied acting at the Film Actors’ Studio of Charlotte.


1. What motivates you to write?

 The desire to share my voice in the marketplace of ideas and thought. I’ve always loved talking about faith, dreams, and the battle with brokenness. Taking that to a public forum where I can share what I’m learning in my own journey is such a joy for me!

2. Could you share a bit about your own experience with depression?

 I was diagnosed with a severe anxiety disorder called OCD in 2006. I had been struggling with it for most of my life, but didn’t seek the proper help until I was 23. The battle with depression may have been along for the ride during those years, but it definitely made itself more prominent in my life after moving home from LA in 2008. I had failed at my dreams, anxiety was a constant war, and my world was in shambles. Depression has been an off-and-on battle that haunts me, particularly when I put focus on who I am and who I’m becoming.

3. What lessons have you learned from this experience?

 That it’s alright to not always feel good. Feelings don’t determine what is true. Feeling good is a wonderful thing, but that I can still create, dream, and imagine when I’m not feeling at my best.

4. What tips would you share with others to help them become more empathetic?

 Remember that you are broken, as well. Just because your brokenness may look a certain way does not mean that everyone else will have the same experience.

5. What misconceptions do you think we have about depression?

 It is a universal problem. The study of the brain, chemical imbalance, and emotional health has become much more advanced in recent years, yet it has not made its way into the public square in the same way as other diseases. 

6. Your pinned Tweet states: “You are radically loved and your life matters.” Why is that an
important message?

 Because we often internalize our dysfunction, as if it defines our value. It doesn’t define our value. It never did define our value and it never will. Our lives have so much to offer to others and to God. We were created for a purpose; we were breathed into with life to live for something greater than mere existence.

7. What’s the biggest change you’ve noticed in your life since coming home to Charlotte in
2009?

 I’ve learned to accept that I don’t have to be a “success” in the eyes of others to be a success in who I become in my character, my art, my relationships, and my dreams for the future. I’ve learned that it’s OK to admit that I’m broken. I’ve learned that it’s worth sharing my story if it encourages others, even if some people don’t understand me.

8. In a recent post you wrote “our feelings don’t determine what is true.” Can you elaborate or
give an example of this?

 We often feel unloved, unwanted, or alone. The truth is, we are all loved, both by God and others. No, we may not always feel loved, but we are loved. The truth is, we’re not alone. There are others who will walk with us and God is closer than we realize. Whether or not I feel that God has abandoned me is irrelevant. God is with me, regardless of how I feel. Other people do care to journey with me, even if I don’t know them yet. I’m not going to be alone forever.

9. How has your understanding of God changed over the years?

 That He’s much more gracious than the angry God I always imagined. That the cost to redeem us was much greater than I’ll ever know. That He is sovereign, even when I can’t understand what He’s doing in my life.

10. Could you name a few writers that you admire? And why you admire them?

Erwin McManus – I’ve admired this guy for a very long time. His passion for the future, for God’s heart, and for human creativity has always resonated with my heart more than any other author.

Brennan Manning - His understanding of grace, the Father’s love for us, and what it means to journey with God have made more of an impact on me than any other author who addresses grace and redemption.

Ravi Zecharias - His understanding of the Scriptures, philosophy, world religions, and science have always been a fascinating blend that challenges me to truly know why I believe what I believe.

11. Is there anything else you’d like to share?

 I still have dreams, hopes, and ideas of who I long to be and who I am becoming, but that I’m learning to be alright with new adventures that I never anticipated. Writing is a passion, but so are many other things in my life. I don’t want to limit myself to one area of life that may just be for a season. We are much more than the jobs we work, the hobbies we enjoy, the people we love, and the dreams that we carry with us.

You can follow Andrew at:





1 comment:

  1. Most recently, I discovered a lot of useful information on this blog page of your website. Several of the numerous comments on your articles. Thank you for revealing. Relocation services in Dubai

    ReplyDelete

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!

Pinocchio: Art Credit, Disney If ever there were a time for a national "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire" award, it's now. And certai...